The average down payment on a house 30 years ago was 20 percent. In 2018, it’s common for people to put no money down on their new home. Simply put, a no down payment mortgage is a loan for which you finance 100% of the purchase price of your home.
Many lenders are now offering such loan programs via USDA, VA, and a variety of down payment assistance programs. These programs are allowing many first time buyers to stop paying rent and enter the housing market when they otherwise could not.
100% financing programs are also referred to as zero-down or no money down home loans. Lenders introduced this type of loan because property values have historically risen, which helps homeowners create equity in their home.
No down payment mortgages can be a little more difficult for lenders, but they are now better able to review a client’s entire profile which helps ensure they are a safe risk. The two remaining 100% home loans that do not require down payment assistance is the government-backed USDA and VA home loan program.
Who is a Good Candidate for a No Money Down Mortgage?
- For some buyers, a no money down home loan may be the only way to buy a home. First time home buyers may not have enough saved up for a 20 percent down payment or might want to use the money they’ve saved for other uses like buying furniture or other necessities for their new home. It may be that they have found a home and want to lock into it now before the home appreciates to a point where they can no longer afford it.
- Some might even need the money they save for other things such as paying off or consolidating debt. It makes good financial sense because mortgage interest is usually tax-deductible and rates are lower than most credit cards. It may also be that they need the money for their child’s college tuition.
We are here to help, please contact us with any questions by calling the number above, or just submit the short Request Contact button at the top of the page.
Avoid Paying Private Mortgage Insurance with No Down Payment
PLEASE NOTE THE 80/20 LOANS LISTED BELOW ARE NO LONGER OFFERED.
- Some mortgage lenders are willing to give you what’s called a piggyback loan, or an 80/20 mortgage, to avoid PMI. Borrowers get a first mortgage for 80 percent of the value of the home, then a second mortgage (a home equity loan) for the remaining 20 percent, which avoids PMI. The value of this is the interest on the second mortgage is usually tax-deductible while PMI is not.
- Borrowers that meet certain criteria can eliminate PMI after they’ve reached a predetermined level of equity in their home. This amount varies depending on the type of loan, but it is commonly between 20 percent to 22 percent. Lenders are required by law to cancel PMI when the homeowner has reached 22 percent equity in their home if the loan was closed after July 29, 1999. However, once 20 percent equity is reached, the homeowner may make a request to their mortgage lender to cancel PMI. Otherwise, the homeowner may end up paying for PMI during the time it takes to reach 22 percent equity.
- There are other ways to get a 20 percent down payment you may not have thought of. For instance, some loans allow for down payments to come from sources like monetary gifts from relatives or employers. Other ways of coming up with a down payment might include drawing from a trust fund or a retirement account or using the money you inherited. However, be aware that some types of those accounts may incur fees or penalties for making withdrawals.
It’s important to consider all these factors when shopping for no down payment mortgages. If you have questions about any of the loan programs listed, please call us at the number above, 7 days a week.